Vegetable RotiCourse: SnacksCuisine: Sri LankanDifficulty: Intermediate
This Vegetable Roti is an imported food from south India where this type of Roti made of wheat flour and is known as ‘Elawalu Roti’ in Sri Lanka . In those days this was available mostly in Indian restaurants or eating houses but now it is widely available and is a common dish in all over Sri Lanka.
This is a food that can be eaten at breakfast, lunch or dinner and even as a snack. In Sri Lanka this is served at 24 hours a day and is also a favorite midnight snack. It is also consumed as an appetizer in Indian and Sri Lankan restaurants.
There is another very similar dish – Parotta from India which will be discussed later.
This is composed of flour, water and fat of some kind, usually ghee or clarified butter or vegetable oil
1 kg Flour
1 no Egg
1 tsp Sugar
2 tbsp Ghee/butter of oil
Water as needed
400 g potatoes
100 g leeks
1 small carrots
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
2 green chilli
onion and garlic chopped
salt and pepper
- Combine flour, salt. Add enough water to make the dough. The dough should not be wet. Make into golf ball size balls and dip in vegetable oil. The balls must be completely covered in oil. Allow it for 2 hours to be soaked.
- filling boil the potatoes and smash it, keep it a side
- cut carrot and leeks in to thin strips.
- heat the oil add onion and garlic, saute for a while,add in green chillies and cumin seeds and mixed it well. Add in chilli pieces and some curry powder is optional. Add in smashed potatoes.
- finish with salt and pepper,
- keep it a side and allow to cool..
- dough balls must be soaked in oil for 2 hours before the next step
- Role the dough in to thin sheet, keep the paste on the middle of the thin dough sheet
- and fold from each sides to make a square shape
- heat the pan in to a medium heat. Grill all sides as shown in the picture. . Ready to serve in 2 minutes time.