A submersible carrying five people on an expedition to explore the wreckage of the Titanic has been missing for over a week. The U.S. Coast Guard has been searching for the sub, but so far there has been no sign of it or the passengers.
The submersible, named Titan, was operated by OceanGate Expeditions. It was carrying Stockton Rush, the CEO of OceanGate Expeditions; Hamish Harding, a British billionaire; Paul-Henri Nargeolet, a French explorer; Shahzada Dawood, a Pakistani businessman; and Suleman Dawood, the son of Shahzada Dawood.
The Titan disappeared on June 19, 2023, about an hour and 45 minutes after it submerged. The submersible was equipped with state-of-the-art safety features, including a backup oxygen supply and a satellite communication system. However, the submersible has not been able to be tracked since it went missing.
The Coast Guard has been searching for the Titan using a variety of methods, including aircraft, surface vessels, and underwater robots. However, so far there has been no sign of the sub or the passengers.
The disappearance of the Titan has raised concerns about the safety of underwater exploration. However, it is important to remember that this is a rare event. Thousands of people have dived to the Titanic wreck without incident.
What to know about the 5 passengers on the missing Titanic sub
- Stockton Rush is the CEO of OceanGate Expeditions, the company that owns the sub. He is a former Navy SEAL and has extensive experience in underwater exploration.
- Hamish Harding is a British billionaire who is a passionate explorer. He has previously funded expeditions to the Titanic and other shipwrecks.
- Paul-Henri Nargeolet is a French explorer who has made over 200 dives to the Titanic. He is considered to be one of the world’s leading experts on the wreck.
- Shahzada Dawood is a Pakistani businessman who is the chairman of the Dawood Hercules Group. He is a keen diver and has previously visited the Titanic wreck.
- Suleman Dawood is the son of Shahzada Dawood. He is a teenager who is passionate about marine biology.